Study in Hungary

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2 countries divided by the same language

For us who has been and lived in the UK or the US are probably aware of this statement, reminds me during the short chat I had with my friend Mike in Liverpool, while waiting for the Theatre “ Dangerous Liaison” to start. I was in US just a year earlier, before I was ‘stationed’ in Liverpool, duh..

But, I am not going to start rambling about US and UK being divided by the same language, but it is here, right here at home (to me, ie Kuala Lumpur), and right next door, i.e. Jakarta, while I was there for only 2 days, and I spoke to so many people in Jakarta of so many different descent, like the Javanese, Acehnese, Batavian, Bandungnese (is there such thing ;-). An interesting scenario, it is however, surprising that neither Malaysian nor Indonesian are seeing it as ‘divided by the same language’ – which I must say to be a positive statement. Though, I must say it is weird with the existence of 2 divisive opinion at both end of the spectrum, either it is ‘similar but not the same’, or it is ‘a completely alien language’ to each other. But again, the leaders in both countries, used to have the expression of ‘serumpun’, If it is ‘serumpun’, why do then, certain fractions of the population are seeing it as ‘alien language’? As an individual, I have to learn certain languages throughout my line of work, I have to have appreciation, without prejudices, for instance, I cannot say ‘this language is harsh’ or ‘noisy’, it is just plain disrespectful. I have to be in it. As Professor Shamsul Amri from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia uses the word ‘assimilate and unite’, that is exactly what I need to do in each and every homes, in each and every country I lived. But, then again, where does one draw the line, without losing identity, I am not able to define it scientifically, but I know, where are my boundaries. As the Malay proverb describe ‘Ibarat menarik rambut dalam tepung, rambut jangan putus, tepung tidak berselerak’. Reminds me, once more, when I was the only ‘Bumi’ in Tuanku Abdul Rahman College, it was awesome, I have learnt about assimilation, right there, and I must say thanks to all my lecturers for being so supportive. I have learnt that me and other Tarcian, are divided by the same policy, funny huh, they thought, being Bumi is a privilege, and I thought a non-Bumi will have no financial worries ( I was naïve then), It is indeed a very true, hands on understanding. Makes me wonder, why some people reject the ‘Vision School’ concept or the ‘PLKN’. I pity Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye then for all the obstacles. Something that is so noble, but again, people tend to be emotional and did go to extreme length. Who is at fault actually? Are we, Malaysian, a really matured society? If yes, what are the evidence, if no? Why on earth, no one is doing something seriously. After reading, UKM News – I must say, I am glad there are people in this planet that sees this things seriously, and I am heartened to read the statement, ‘we don’t work for prizes, but for the society’.

Lastly, in terms of being divided by the same language, I always cherish those moments, when 3 of my friends, kept to their dialect (Hokkien, Hakka & Cantonese) while talking to each other, and yet remain fully understood. I found that amazing, it just shows, how important language is to break barriers.. Therefore, once again, I fail to understand, why there is again so much objection for the Science and Math being taught in English. It will help to contribute more for than harm (what is so wrong about being at least bilingual?). What I do object is, the changing and translation of street names in Penang. Now, that is really out of this world. After all, this is Malaysia, I have never seen anything similar along the streets in London? or even when I was in Jeddah, Moscow, Prague, or in Nagoya (and of course, Jakarta, my newest addition) or anywhere in this world. So, please, be realistic about getting political mileage.

No comments:

Sukhoi History